Italian Stuffed Pork Meatball Sandwich
Write a review
- 1 pound ground pork, lean
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls, about 12 to 15 of small size
- 1 28-ounce jar tomato sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper Submarine-style buns
- In a large bowl combine the whisked eggs, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Add the ground pork and breadcrumbs and mix together until evenly combined.
- Form the ground pork mixture into small meatballs, each the size of a golf ball.
- Insert a mozzarella ball in the center of each meatball, taking care to re-form the meatball around the cheese once it’s been added. (The cheese should not be visible.)
- Place the tomato sauce in the bottom of a slow cooker and add the meatballs on top.
- Turn the slow cooker on and cook over high heat for 6 hours or low heat for 8 hours. Carefully rotate the meatballs after half the cooking time to make sure they cook evenly.
- To serve, place three meatballs plus sauce in a submarine bun.
- Serves 4 to 5 (about 12 to 15 meatballs)
- Try substituting regular breadcrumbs with equal amounts of panko bread crumbs, or any kind of pasta or red sauce available. Serve with sweet potato fries.
- Calories: 890 calories
- Protein: 62 grams
- Fat: 49 grams
- Sodium: 1440 milligrams
- Cholesterol: 280 milligrams
- Saturated Fat: 27 grams
- Carbohydrates: 48 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
Taste of the Tailgate https://tasteofthetailgate.com/wordpress/